Wednesday, June 22, 2011

EdL 755 Reflection #1

Though I have been using Google Docs in my Journalism 2 class since the beginning of last school year, I have never before used Google Sites. At a glance, it does seem to offer many of the features already available using wikis, but the integration of other Google Services intrigues me. Because my students already write and collaborate using Google Docs, creating a Google Site for my journalism class seems like a natural extension of what they are already accustomed to using. Embedding certain docs in the site, like the story ideas students brainstorm each month for publication, would allow a structured way for students to access shared documents that can otherwise be cumbersome using only Google Docs. Additionally, the ease with which Google allows users to replicate the structure of a site would allow me to set up sites for my other classes with minimal effort.
However, my vision of structuring my Journalism 2 class around a Google Site does not entirely extend to my other classes. In my Journalism 1 class, for instance, I have been using a class Ning to post assignments and links, facilitate discussions, and host student blogs in a controlled environment. Students can reasonably be expected to use both a class Ning and Google Site, but I do have reservations about asking them to do too many different things in too many different places on the internet. I also feel that Ning provides some functionality that is lacking in Google Sites, like a robust message board platform. As I experiment further with Google Sites, I would like to try embedding the Ning discussion platform in a similar manner to the Wikispaces site embedded under the discussion tab of our EdL755 class Google Site. I do have concerns, though, that the Ning would become less functional in a window and that having students click through to open it in a new browser tab or window would add unnecessary steps to accessing the Ning, especially since its url is easier to remember.
As far as using Google Sites in the Howard-Suamico School District, I think that using them to host student portfolios could be an effective and frugal method of centralizing and showcasing students’ exemplary work. Rather than having students create separate and distinct portfolios for multiple classes that include all of their work throughout a semester or school year, I think students would be better served by creating only one site and portfolio highlighting the very best work of their high school careers. It would probably be best to require a certain number of artifacts from each content area, which would enable every teacher to promote the portfolio concept in his or her classroom. The completed portfolio could then be tied to one senior-level course or be required for graduation. Much like UWGB’s education program, each senior could be assigned to one teacher who would review his or her assigned students’ portfolios and conference with that student before graduation.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that Google Site is a great place for students to create and add to ONE portfolio. It would be awesome to have freshmen LA students create a portfolio to add to each year. It would be amazing to see, as a teacher, how much writing has improved. I would also be amazing for students to see and share with family.

    I also like how Google Sites allows students to keep adding information. Too many times, students are asked to use similar technologies to reproduce similar projects or products. This can cause students to just create one project and just resubmit it again and again. With Google Sites, however, it allows the teacher to visit the history. We, as teachers, can see the changes and students, too, can view the changes to assess growth. I think this may have the capability of becoming a powerful assessing tool even more so than the WKCE.

    Do you like using a Ning? I had one experience with it, and I found it annoying and not user friendly. It might be easier to switch to Google Docs for the simple reason that students are more familiar with it, and it would be one less user name and password to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The portfolio idea is a great way to assess real learning. Instead of cramming for a class or doing the skill right once and never demonstrating is again, the portfolio would hold students accountable for learning over a longer time period. I also think that giving students choice and the options to personalize assignemnts as is available in most protfolio projects will help keep students interested. I also love the idea of the portfolio because it helps teachers see what skills the students already know and what types of projects they have already covered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish there was one tool that would do it all in one spot. I agree with you that Ning is good for some things and wiki for others, etc.

    ReplyDelete