Wednesday, June 22, 2011

PBL and journalism


Until this morning, I had planned to create my problem-based unit for the new class I am teaching this year, AP Language. It seemed like an obvious confluence of my need to prepare to teach that course and to complete a project for this grad class. Researching project/problem-based learning this morning, however, I have started to entertain the idea of developing a journalism unit instead.

Not only does the journalism curriculum, in which having a real world audience for students’ writing is already an integral part of the class, lend itself to this approach, but it is also the class in which I plan to most use the netbooks downstairs purple pod will receive this year. I have some trepidation about putting off preparing for AP Lang further into the summer, but I still believe this will be the most pragmatic way to develop a PBL unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment